Saturday, March 16, 2013

San Diego!

Headed to San Diego on January 24 for a hearing aid training with the company Phonak.  Flew out of Sioux Falls as early as I could so I could spend a little time enjoying San Diego.  Left Sioux Falls at 6:15AM and arrived in San Diego at 9:52AM.  The limo driver to my hotel told me all about the homeless population in San Diego - it is huge.  Their fleet of vehicles are stored in an area heavy with homeless, but they feed them food and alcohol and they don't harm the cars and buses.  After a limo ride to my hotel, The Hard Rock Hotel, I checked in and wow what a room!  Clear shower!
 Awesome sink.
 Huge TV on the wall across from the bed.
 Nice, comfy bed.

 The view outside my room looking down showed a seafood restaurant.
 The San Diego Convention Center was right across the street and the San Diego Harbor behind it.  Nice view!
 My room had an awesome chair and reading corner right inside the window.

 View of the Hilton right along  the water and bridge to Coronado Island.
 The Convention Center was huge.

 Standing by my window looking in to my room.
 Even the toilet was a unique design.
 Stashed my luggage and headed out.  It is cloudy and a little misty, but nice walking weather.  Could see the Petco Park Baseball Stadium from the window waiting for the elevator.


 Headed to Petco Park Stadium and looked back to snap a picture of the outside of my hotel.
 Palm trees a long the street in front of the hotel.
 Unique cactus around the Stadium.
 Found a Tilted Kilt across from the Stadium!  Fond memories from Denver......
 Ticket counters were closed and quiet.

 This walking bridge outside the Stadium leads across the Metro tracks to the Harbor side.

 Jerry Coleman statue.
 Looking into the  Stadium.  Lots of activity going on getting ready for next season!


 Found the store.  It was open and walked through.
 Large piggy bank outside the store.
 Quiet entry.
 Headed back to the hotel.  A pretty view of the street.
 Passed my hotel again!
 Headed to the Gaslamp District.  This sign is actually attached to my hotel.

 Nice shop for souvenirs.
 A strip club, and steaks too!

 Steph would like this shop!



 Found a Hooters!  It was great timing because I was hungry for lunch!
 Had great chicken strips.  Bernie, Steph, Josh and Becca - wish you had been here with me!
 Headed back to the hotel for a little rest.  Still time before Pam Wilson is scheduled to arrive from North Carolina.  Decided to head over to the Harbor.
 View of the Stadium from the bridge.
 Walking across the bridge.



 Looking toward Coronado.

 Port of San Diego.
 Beautiful yacht in the harbor.
 Walking along the Embarcadero.







 Came upon a huge marina.  The "boats" in this marina were huge!






 Seaport Village had restaurants, hotels and cute shops.
 The Naval area of Coronado.
 Found quite a tree with interesting roots.




 USS Midway in the distance.







 Wish I had enough time to tour the USS Midway.  Looked fascinating.


 Naval ship sailing across the water.

 Some awesome statues in the area of the USS Midway.






 I had walked quite a ways along the Harbor and it took awhile to get back.  Pam is due to land at 2:18 and it was getting to be 3PM and I knew she would be at the hotel soon.  Walked back along the street in front of the Harbor.

 Here are pictures of my Hard Rock Hotel from across the street in front of the Convention Center.


 Rug in the entry way greeting us.
 The check in desks.

 Back to my room to relax and wait for Pam.  I loved the cute little guitars on the pillow cases.
 The view near the elevator.  The sun has come out a little but it is still cloudy.
 Turned on my TV to watch for awhile.

 Had my name in the corner!

 Pam arrived and was ready for a walk.  We walked down the Embarcadero and enjoyed some bench time and visiting to catch up.
We headed back to the hotel for the evening reception.  Met with Phonak staff and enjoyed some drinks and appetizers.  Great food!   My room had many temptations, but the prices were very expensive!  Was able to control myself and didn't take any!


 Early to bed.  It is a 2 hour difference and it was catching up with me that I had been up since 4AM.  Dove into the soft bed after a shower and lights out!  But of course I couldn't sleep in.  Had set the alarm for 5:30AM (breakfast is at 7AM) and was awake a couple of hours before that.  Read awhile and watched TV.  When it was time to get up, this chair called for me.
 Found this paper outside my door.  Thank you Hard Rock Hotel!
 Took my room key and $20, expecting to spend it on expensive coffee, but the lobby had free Starbucks!  Yeah!
 Time for my favorite morning ritual of reading the paper while drinking my coffee!
 Headed to breakfast at 7AM.  It was in a festive tent near the outside pool area.  Pam is here with one of her Audiologist and he took our picture for us.
 Here is looking into the tent from the hallway.

 We had to use our room key to get the elevator going.
 Looking down at the tent from the elevator lobby on 11th floor.
 The pool and cabana rooms.
 View of the city.
 The Metro tram running near our hotel.
 
 It rained all day on Friday, January 25.  That was OK - we were in training all day.  We had a closing reception at 4:30 and Pam and I enjoyed a drink, visiting with the staff, and eating appetizers again.  After we said our goodbyes to the wonderful Phonak staff, we walked around the Gaslamp District.  Bought a few souvenirs and Pam got an umbrella to keep herself drier, even though she was already wet.  Back to the hotel, said our goodbyes (Pam flies out at 615AM and I fly out at 11:50AM).  Slept for awhile but up at 3AM.  TNT had a Dallas marathon and I enjoyed watching the new Season 1 of Dallas shows.  Beginning of season 2 starts Monday with a 2 hour show.  Decided to start the day with 2 free Starbucks - I have plenty of time to relax.
 The view outside my window today is fog.  I am beginning to believe Sunny California is a myth!

 This is the display that greeted us every time we got off the elevator on first floor - outfit from Madonna.
 Found a telegram from Elvis Presley in one of the displays.
 After a leisurely morning, was met at the door by a limo to go to the hotel.  The same driver that brought me to the hotel took me back to the airport.
He took me on a little diversion tour.  We drove through the San Diego Harbor and he showed me a large ship owned by a  Russian. He said that whenever this Russian dignitary come to San Diego he has his boat brought in for his use when he wants to sail it.
The life boats on th sides were as big as some of the regular boats in the harbor.
He also said there are some Saudi Princes that live in Hollywood but come to San Diego and hire several pieces of the limo fleet.  He said they bring 27 staff members for the 3 Princes along with them when they travel.  They spend a lot of time driving them around.  At the end of one of the trips, one of the Saudi Princes gave him a $3000 tip.
 

No comments: